Thursday, August 21, 2008

Where do you shop?

OK, I'll admit it. I'm a true data geek. I get excited when I find data that's predictive of customer behavior. You know, for example when you're building a response model and find that gem of a data element that sets responders apart from non-responders? It's even cooler when the data element is something that you least expected to be so predictive.

I remember working with another analytical expert who was almost giddy when he determined that red vs. blue states made a difference in his home equity model. Yes, if you lived in a Democratic state you were less/more (I can't remember) likely to respond to his mortgage offer. Who knew? The data did, I guess!

So, you can't blame me for getting a chuckle about this article that reports a correlation between political leanings and where a consumer shops. But, when you think about it, where someone shops tells you a lot about them.
When asked to “vote” as if the election were held today, Walmart, Kohl’s and JCPenney Shoppers are more likely to vote for McCain; while Macy’s and Target Shoppers say they would cast a ballot for Obama, according to BIGresearch's August Consumer Intentions and Actions (CIA) Survey.
Hmmm. I guess we have another dimension to add to our segmentation and other analytical strategies--shopping habits!

No comments: